Laka Glacier Trek is one of the most popular hikes. It is located at an altitude of 9,500 feet. It showcases our breathtaking natural beauty and offers majestic views of the valley. This place will give you the memories of your life and camping in the mountains will give you another level of joy. This is the perfect weekend hike as it can be covered in a shorter period. The base town for this hike is Mcleodganj. It’s perfect for those impulsive, unplanned escapes from your job that you occasionally want.
Flora and fauna
Along the way, you will see impressive glaciers and colorful markets in Mcleodganj. You will also see the beauty of the Himalayas as you pass oaks, rhododendrons, and deodar trees.
The Laka hike is not difficult and is very popular with beginners, but some may find it a bit difficult at the end of the trail. Therefore, it is considered easy to moderate.
The best time to visit
The best time to hike is before the monsoon as the glaciers are full of snow. The snow starts to melt in July and after the monsoons, there is no more snow on the glaciers and only moray eels can be seen.
The walk lasts 3 days.
On day 1, walk from Mcleodganj to Triund. It takes about 4-5 hours to get there and you have to travel a distance of 9 km.
On day 2, you will hike from Triund to Laka Glacier and return to Triund the same day. You have to walk a distance of 8 km and it takes about 5-6 hours.
On the 3rd, you will return to Mcleodganj de Triund. Because it is decent, it is easier and faster to descend. Therefore, it will take a maximum of 3-4 hours and you will travel a distance of 9 km.
Our trail starts in Mcleodganj. We passed through the markets of Mcleodganj and we passed through the town of Dharamkot. The path ends at the Galu Devi temple and the trail takes you through a forest of oaks, rhododendrons, and Deodar. It is an easy way to the top. You will faint unbelievably at the magnificent view of Pico Mun. We will spend the night here camping and stargazing under the beautiful sky.
Wake up to the morning sky and start your hike. Climb for 40 minutes to the snowline cafe, after which the trail takes you through lush green pastures on the way down. It is also known as “Laka Got”. A few kilometers of the steep climb to the glacier. Enjoy the wonderful view from the top and spend some time here. We returned to Triund the same day.
Go back to Mcleodganj. As it is decent, it will be easier and shorter and you will reach Mcleodganj in a few hours. Your beautiful three-day trip ends here.
- Visit Galu Devi Mandir
- Enjoy the natural beauty
- Discover the Himalayan forest
- Testimony of the local mountain culture
- Camp under the stars and wake up to the sunrise.
- Enjoy the campfire, music, and games.
Precautions and essentials
- Good trekking footwear is essential to ensure a comfortable trekking experience.
- Wear light and comfortable clothing.
- Wear wool clothing.
- Alcohol consumption and smoking are strongly discouraged.
- You must stay in a group, as there are wild animals in the forests.
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Complete trekking equipment
- Proof of identity is a must for all hikers.
- Take food and water with you.
- Take a double strap backpack (no shoulder strap).
- Mosquito repellent and sunscreen packaging.
- Pack raincoats, jackets, first aid, and extra clothing in case of emergency.
- Use minimal weight.
- Not the garbage.
- Stay with the group and don’t walk alone.
- Take care of your luggage.
- Take your medication if necessary.
- Bring your camera and cell phone at your own risk.
- Don’t put your life in danger by trying to click risky photos.
This hike offers the best views of the Dhauladhar mountain ranges and the Kangra Valley, as well as fun experiences and lifelong memories. It does not matter if it is a solo trip or with family or friends. This is the perfect hike for all of the above. This place implies your tiredness and boredom. You will be too lost in the beauty of this place to worry about your busy daily life. This hike is a must on your to-do list.